NACTEI 2019 Pre-Conference
The New Perkins V and Its Intersection with EDGAR
Steven A. Spillan, Esq, an associate with Brustein & Manasevit, PLLC, a leading national authority on the federal CTE legal framework, will provide a detailed cross-walk of the key changes from Perkins IV to Perkins V. The training session, which is scheduled from May 13, from 9:00 am – 12:00 PM, will take place just before NACTEI’s 39th Annual Perkins Leadership Conference at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center in Kansas City, MO.
The session will focus on key changes in the law that will impact the way States, districts, and colleges implement career and technical education programs, including crafting a new four-year state plan and the local comprehensive needs assessment. Each attendee will receive a copy of a side-by-side cross-walk from Perkins IV to Perkins V. Topics will include:
- Alignment with the Every Student Succeeds Act and the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act;
- A greater focus on programs of study;
- Allowable use of funds;
- Fiscal requirements;
- And more
The session will also include ample time for questions and answers.
- Are you prepared for the new restrictions on budgeting under Perkins V?
- Can you align your federally supported activities with the results of your new comprehensive local needs assessment?
- Must your federal expenditures be directly connected with reducing performance gaps for special populations?
- When must the needs assessment be developed, and what funds are available to pay for it?
- Are you aware of the new emphasis in Perkins V on special populations, and the addition of three new categories of special populations?
- Do you understand the significant restrictions Congress placed on the “local use of funds” section of the law?
- Are you preparing for the new mandates on career exploration down to the 5th grade?
- Should you accept the “State Determined Levels of Performance” or negotiate your own accountability measures?
- Are you familiar with the new accountability alignments with ESSA and WIOA?
- What are the differences among “CTE programs”, “CTE Programs of Study” and “CTE Career Pathways”?